Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Guest Blog- Danny Bergin

Danny gives an authentic view of beginning to follow Christ at CATB, here is his story.

In reflecting upon the events that have taken place in my life thus far, it is dubious in thinking that I will ever be asked to be a motivational speaker. It is not the fact that I am a poor public speaker that makes me unqualified but the realization that I have never experienced any true hardship. I was raised in a good Christian household with loving parents who supported each and every dream that I chose to pursue. I met my wife at the University of Florida and we now have two beautiful daughters.

Before the birth of my first daughter, it would be a true and unfortunate statement to say that, with everything going according to plan, I really did not see a reason to seek God. With her birth, my perspective changed. My wife and I had a candid discussion about how different our children’s lives would be without God. Questions arose about where she is going to be exposed to good moral people, who she is going to associate with, and how she is going to know what path to choose when life presents its problems. A naysayer would proclaim that we are two highly intelligent and educated people that are fully capable of teaching good decision making to children, absent religion. Our parents were the same, but they still chose to follow Christ.

My wife and I had not. We were invited to a local church and immediately felt the fellowship, openness, and energy that was different from other places. Through various groups and services, I have been able to openly voice questions, feelings, and apprehensions I have regarding Christianity without feeling like an errant nail sticking out that is waiting to be hammered down. This openness towards God allows me to be more confident in my beliefs, both internally upon myself and externally towards others.

By beginning to place God at the center of my life, I have noticed a sense of fulfillment and solace that was previously void. My marriage, family, friendships, and career have all benefited tremendously from His guidance and through attending this church. There are still many times that I struggle with putting God first, as I am not even close to perfect. But my struggles are made easier by having other people traveling along with me and keeping me going in the right direction.

.


No comments: