Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Being a Man

I invited Jeff Allinder (a huge servant at The Bay) to write a Guest Blog for Men! Home run!


.
What defines manhood? American Heritage gives it a good shot:
  • The state or time of being an adult male human.
  • The composite of qualities, such as courage, determination, and vigor, often thought to be appropriate to a man.

What defines courage, determination, and vigor in our world today? Most of us don’t go to work on a horse, combine, or a with a tool belt. For those that do, vigor is more direct and discernable. For the rest of us, it comes from golf, softball, hiking, or watching the NFL. For purposes of this discussion, I’ll classify vigor as an easy part of being a man. This is pretty hard-wired and doesn’t require much effort, so I’ll move past it. This brings us to courage and determination:

Most of us don’t have to face the wilderness or risk our lives to provide for our families, so opportunities to display courage look a lot different than the image in our minds. I propose that courage for most men is better defined as shunning temptation. Taking the more difficult path, putting the needs of others first, THESE things take courage. Having moral and ethical integrity when no one is watching…that’s determination.

What does that look like for the average North Tampa/Westchase professional man?

  • Avoid the casual flirtation with a female business associate, that girl at the gym, or wherever it presents itself. Instead, renew your marriage by recasting your wife in the light you remember from early dating time. Take that rush of exhilaration you got when your first dated her and put it on a shelf in your mind so that you can take it down and drink from it any time. Use that to keep those other doors tightly closed.
  • Instead of tearing down other people, look for opportunities to build them up. There are always examples of people who aren’t as (insert limitation here). When the inevitable opportunities arise, deflect them. Then look for ways to put a spotlight on people doing good things great and small.
  • Take the heat. When your subordinate at work misses the ball, take the heat. When you need to discipline your child and they whine, beg, or scream, take the heat. When your wife has a tough day and vents about something you did, take the heat.
  • Admit that you don’t have it figured out. When you need something from your wife, tell her about it and ask her for it. Don’t get mad at her for not meeting a need you haven’t expressed and go looking elsewhere. When you need help, ask a friend. Cultivate relationships with men that you can lean on when those times come.
  • Don’t be a victim. Don’t look for slights, lament bad fortune, or live with a sense of entitlement. Life is tough, and things aren’t going to go your way. Don’t allow your attitude to be determined by circumstances.

To me, these things require and represent courage. Doing them consistently requires determination. It is easy to look at guys who have screwed up big time and either dismiss them, pity them, or even sympathize with them. But they didn’t get there in a day. Instead of doing those things, seek to demonstrate courage, determination, and integrity every day. Seek out other men to do it with. Look for support, encouragement, and maybe even correction from them. Remember to have an eternal perspective and the joy that can overcome life’s challenges through recognition that the battle is fought and won. Be a man.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a very different perspective than my big brother does. I don't know what any of you know about me, but I'm nearly twelve years younger than Jeff. That means he was in college when I was in first grade.

The thing I'm realizing, though, is that while our perspectives have been molded differently and therefore come from completely different angles, we generally come to the same conclusions. This was beautifully and elegantly written. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but that does not mean that I disagree with it, because there is nothing but truth contained within his words.

I wish you all the absolute best. Live your lives in His holy light, in the manner that you KNOW He would want you to (and does want you to), and you will break from the chains this society puts us in to become EXACTLY what God put you on this planet to be.

Your brother in Christ,
Nathan Allinder

Anonymous said...

Well put, Jeff. What I appreciate most is your comment "admit that you don't have it figured out". I used to think following Christ, being a man, a good husband & dad, meant I had to hit the bar every time, in every area of my life. The failures (big or small) would beat me down to the point of not wanting to try again. But I see now that failure in this "be a Godly man" arena is just like a failure in business, or football...just a step to success, and a chance for character growth.

Sometimes I wrestle w/ just getting w/in reach of the bar, let alone jumping over it. But its a relief to know that taking my first step can come while I'm far from "polished", or "figured out". And that there are plenty of other guys in the same boat w/ me.

Thanks for putting yourself out there w/ the thought!

The Doeblers said...

Great post, Jeff.

Anonymous said...

Jeff - nice. Chock full of good stuff, "homerun" as Hal put it - maybe even the towering kind that instead of sprinting to first, head down, while the ball sails, you actually get to admire it along with the fans, 'cause it's a "bomb". I know that I am growing in Christ and brotherhood, and that meeting during the week with Brian and Allan is helping me to become more comfortable in sharing thoughts and ideas about challenges I am personally experiencing or issues I struggle with. In fact, I know I am growing because in times past, rather than sitting here at 5 something in the morning and reading a few scriptures and then pulling up Hal's Blog to check in, I would be using that time to "study" Foxnews.com or Forbes.com, not bad stuff in itself, but certainly less focused on the "real" stuff I am now finding. All of you are encouraging to me in how to live, act, and share. Keeping it "real" is what I see separating CATB from so many other churches I have experienced. God Bless.