Saturday, December 12, 2009

God Guides

“So, I’m single now. Everything’s changed. I hate it.” –Corey Flood, from the movie Say Anything

This quote sums up the point in life I found myself about a year ago. I was fresh out of a divorce, in the middle of a difficult graduate program, and about 1000 miles from my family, friends, and other support system. Luckily, my sister took an active interest in reminding me that getting myself back into relationship with God and a good church would be the wisest choice for me. That’s how I found CATB. Encouraged to grow in the Word, and to put my growth into action, I also realized I was surrounded by many positive influences for the next steps in my life - especially as a newly single guy. I was encouraged to seek from God what a true intimate relationship with a woman would look like. I was also reminded that to achieve this, sex was off the table. This is really nothing a newly single guy wants to hear. It has not been an easy challenge. But what I have come to know very well now is that God digs it when I obey His word. Obedience allows my authenticity and better sight of His faithfulness in my relationship with Him.
This has really become evident in my schooling experience. As a requirement to graduate, I had to write a paper about research in the world of healthcare. I felt the nudge to look away from classic topics in medicine and make my paper about the ways in which God was represented in healthcare. I was lead to write about studies involving prayer in the healthcare setting. The paper required a professional mentor. I sought out a local physician who I had heard took time to pray with his patients. He accepted my invitation to mentor the paper.
Then, on the very day I was going to meet with him about the structure and research of the paper, a position in his office had just become available. I sent in my resume and expressed interest in the position. Some time passed, but he eventually called me back for an interview. I interviewed and was offered the position.
To the secular world, this is just a great coincidence. I was once one of those people. Now that I see with the eyes of a renewed mind, I realize God has a plan far more detailed than simple coincidence.
I never truly knew or understood until now when some say God is always faithful. Now I do, and He is. When I reflect on where I have been, what I have done, and the many blessings in my life I should not have received, it is quite evident that He does have a particular plan for me. I am pretty sure I am getting hip to his faithfulness these days. I don’t need to know the details of every step, all I have to do is to be faithful to choose to trust and obey Him.

Guest blogger
Mike Warren

No comments: